Client Support Worker
Salary £24,000 – £26,000 plus excellent pension
Location London SW6 2TX
Contract Fixed term
People in poverty depend on us every day. Can we depend on you?
At the Hammersmith & Fulham Foodbank, we help local people in crisis. We don’t believe that anyone in our community should have to face going hungry, so we provide three days’ nutritionally balanced emergency food and support to people referred to us. As part of a nationwide network of foodbanks, supported by the Trussell Trust, we’re working hard to combat poverty and hunger across the UK. You can join us in our vital mission as a client support worker and help us bring people help and hope.
About the Client Support Worker role
Analysing data and referrals, you will identify regular and long-term service users and work with voucher partners and other agencies to ensure they are receiving the support they need. Operating alongside bodies including Citizens’ Advice and the Law Centre, you will help and empower some of our more vulnerable clients (many of whom have been affected by Universal Credit) to move away from foodbank dependence; this could involve visits, form-filling, applying for grants and sourcing additional avenues of support and advice.
Passionate about tackling poverty and exclusion, you will bring broad understanding of the benefits system, alongside sound experience of engaging and supporting vulnerable people. What’s more, you will be able to manage and progress your own caseload, interpret statistical data and engage stakeholders from other organisations, and you will possess the ability to build trust and relationships with people from disadvantaged backgrounds.
What you can expect in return
In return for your commitment and empathy, we offer an excellent package of benefits including 25 days’ holiday and a pension scheme with up to 5% employer contribution (starting after successful completion of a three-month probationary period). You will also enjoy all the satisfaction of making a measurable difference for some of London’s most marginalised people.
Please note, this role is funded for one year with a strong possibility of extension, subject to funding.
To apply, please send us your CV together with a covering letter to: email@example.com.
Closing date: 1st November 2019.
We look forward to receiving your application soon. Please note, we’ll contact applicants after 4th November and interviews will be held w/c 18th November.
The Hammersmith & Fulham Foodbank, a H&F Brilliant Business Awards 2017 winner, is a registered charity, number: 1148358.
Client Support Worker
Responsible to: The Chief Executive (CEO) of Hammersmith & Fulham foodbank (HFFB)
Responsible for: Identifying and supporting clients using the foodbank, who may require extra support and time to move on in their lives and reduce dependency on the foodbank.
Temporary: 1 year fixed contract, with strong potential to extend subject to future funding.
Overall objective: Through analysis of Foodbank data as well as referrals, identify those clients who are long-term users. Work with clients, voucher partners and other organisations to ensure that longer-term clients are being empowered and supported to help them in moving away from food poverty and reliance on the Foodbank. Monitor and improve performance of the voucher referral process.
Supporting key clients
- Working with volunteers, staff and professional Advisors, together with analysis of Foodbank data, to identify and prioritise those clients most in need of support.
- Follow up targeted individuals/families, or as identified by volunteers/other workers.
- Liaise with the OM any concerns regarding the clients you are working with and ongoing issues.
Data and reporting
- Be familiar with the on-line data system, monitoring key data indicators & extract data for reports to the OM, CEO and trustees.
- Create, use and maintain a separate database that identifies frequent users, reason for referral and timelines.
- Provide regular reports and case studies on the progress of regular users towards independence.
- Report to the charity’s trustees at board meetings when requested.
Signposting and casework
- Devise appropriate forward plans to support clients. This could include signposting on to specialist agencies (covering the full range of social welfare law subject areas including Housing Benefit, Council Tax Support, Universal credit, disability benefits and Pension credit) with support offered by us. Support clients in completing paperwork and accessing services or introduction of strategies to support the clients in their current situation.
- Manage own caseload and be able to work independently at all of our locations.
- Monitor progress of supported clients and report regularly.
- Work alongside external organisations (including Law Centre and Citizens Advice) to deliver client support.
Foodbank centre(s) & Volunteers
- Visit each foodbank centre on a regular basis and ensure clients are receiving appropriate signposting, as well as ensuring volunteers are well trained and motivated in signposting and referrals to internal and external services.
- Liaise with foodbank centre supervisors to monitor and maintain operational standards in regard to signposting and referrals to internal and external advice resources.
- Ensure all volunteers understand the benefits of signposting and use this knowledge to benefit clients.
- Keep signposting resources/folders relevant and up to date.
- Communicate with referral agencies in response to queries or issues.
- Monitor and liaise with referral agencies to ensure they are following referral guidelines.
- Monitor the views of stakeholders (surveys etc.).
- Facilitate the annual Quality Assurance visit from The Trussell Trust.
- Maintain a foodbank phone and email account.
Trussell Trust compliance
- Comply with the terms of the foodbank franchise, including standard operating procedures.
Candidates should be able to demonstrate and reflect the following in their CV and covering letter.
- Good understanding of the benefits system, and knowledge of local and national advice and support services, including the local Council.
- Ability to manage and monitor the development of a project.
- Experience of working or volunteering in an organisation that deploys volunteers.
- Sound understanding of the social issues surrounding poverty and exclusion in the UK.
- A clean DBS check will be required.
Key Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- At least one year’s experience of working alongside vulnerable people.
- Excellent oral and written communication/report writing/keeping case notes.
- Driver with clean licence helpful.
- Confident user of email, Microsoft Office suite of programmes and internet.
- Ability to work independently and unsupervised, a self-starter.
- Numerate and comfortable interpreting statistical data.
- Honesty and integrity.
- Passionate about tackling poverty.
- Enquiring mind.
- Empathy and the ability to build trust and relationships with people from disadvantaged, marginalised, or socially excluded backgrounds.
- Willing to ‘muck in’. We are a small team and you may be required to help with other tasks when necessary.
Hammersmith & Fulham Foodbank is a charity founded on Christian principles. Not every member of the team is a Christian, but we all subscribe to the same values and hope that new team members will too.